Coast Guard District narrative histories 1945
At the time of the Coast Guard's taking over of the Lighthouse Service in the 13th Naval District, the tenders HEATHER, ROSE, MANZANITA, RHODODENDRON, and FIR were all operating in the district and became the property of the United States Coast Guard. Prior to the consolidation and upon the arrival of the FIR within the district, HEATHER had been removed from duty and tied to the sea wall at Lake Union Locks until the outbreak of war. At that time the Army borrowed her and she was never returned.
At the outbreak of the war, the MANZANITA was fitted out and supplied with special submarine cables for the laying of a protective loop across the approach to Dutch Harbor and again, she was loaned to the Canadian authorities for the laying of a similar cable at Prince Rupert. The tenders performed their regular duties during the war, but were equipped with small arms, depth charge racks, and deck guns for protection from submarines. The armament was removed following the cessation of hostilities and the complements of the tenders were thereby gradually reduced.
(Photo of the Tender Fir displayed here)